The Dudelux Story

Got a build-up or ongoing project happening? Tell us about it here

Moderator: Moderator Team

Postby dudelux » Sat Sep 04, 2010 9:23 pm

Motivated?? Hardly mate, Ive been telling myself to strip that axle for almost a year :D

But, I did finish stripping it today, all down to a bare housing, the centre looks to be in good condition, so Ill have to count the teeth to figure out what ratio thy are, then Ill know if Im using them or selling them.
They were advertised as 4.8s, but when I was cleaning them up, found 4.3 written on them. Ill count the teeth to be sure.

I was planning on putting it all back together today with the new rotors and calipers, but the bearing guy told me that the Surf rotor takes different bearings and seals than mine does, and the 4runner takes the same bearings, but different seals. So monday I will be going back to the bearing guy with the new rotor and I will be getting the correct bearings and seals for them, then I can fit the new brakes.

I cleaned up the new rotors today, and found some pink writing on there saying LN106, so Im assuming they came off a 4runner.
1986 Hilux dual cab, 2in body lift, IFS rear springs, inverted rear Bilsteins, 33in Swampers, 35in Muddys, custom and homemade stuff, lots to come

1993 Pajero, 31in ATs, steel bullbar

2000 Wethepeople Thrillseeker, full Chromoly, 20in Alex Supra rims, 20in Maxxis rubber, Profile and Primo bits
dudelux
DAY TRIPPER
DAY TRIPPER

dudelux

Postby dieseltech » Sun Sep 05, 2010 10:22 am

your claws are 35's hey? easy to fit without scrubbing? i thought ln106 was 1989 - 1997 4x4 hilux dual cab, could be wrong.
Troopy. lowered, bar'd, to be locked
dieseltech
SHOW PONY
SHOW PONY

Postby dudelux » Sun Sep 05, 2010 9:25 pm

Yes mate, the Claws are 35s, scrub a bit on the back of guard.
Ln106 is after 89.
The brakes are off a LN106 something, Im assuming 4runner.
Mine is a LN65, its an upgrade.
From solid discs to vented discs, from standard calipers(4pot, 2x 25, 2x 35 pistons) to bigger calipers(4pot, 4x45 pistons)
1986 Hilux dual cab, 2in body lift, IFS rear springs, inverted rear Bilsteins, 33in Swampers, 35in Muddys, custom and homemade stuff, lots to come

2000 Wethepeople Thrillseeker, full Chromoly, 20in Alex Supra rims, 20in Maxxis rubber, Profile and Primo bits
dudelux
DAY TRIPPER
DAY TRIPPER

dudelux

Postby dieseltech » Tue Sep 07, 2010 7:50 pm

sounds like a well worthwhile upgrade mate. should pull up well. got any video's of your truck in action mate?
Troopy. lowered, bar'd, to be locked
dieseltech
SHOW PONY
SHOW PONY

Postby dudelux » Wed Sep 08, 2010 12:04 pm

Yep thats the plan anyway, I did the drivers side yesterday. Went together pretty easy.
Only had to bend the hard brakeline a little bit and cut a small piece out of the backing plate to line up the bolt holes on the caliper.
Ill do the passenger side today sometime, but my 2 youngens are here, after they go to bed for a day sleep, Ill get into it.
Then, once its all bolted together, i can start on fitting the 80series master cyl and booster, should be fun. Then it will be good to go.

No vids mate, but I think there was one from the recent Killy Loop trip, not much, but you get to see it moves.

dudelux
DAY TRIPPER
DAY TRIPPER

Postby dudelux » Fri Sep 10, 2010 10:42 pm

Finally got the passenger side back together tonight, there was some dramas with an oil seal.
I had a bit of trouble getting the oil seal into the back of the rotor, I rubbed it down with some emery, and still wouldnt go in, so I took the rotor back to the wreckers where I got it, the hole that the seal sits in wasnt totally round. Which explains why i couldnt get the seal to fit.
So they gave me another one, got it all fitted tonight.
So new brakes are on, just need to bleed the system tomorrow and then should be able to drive it again.

dudelux
DAY TRIPPER
DAY TRIPPER

Postby dudelux » Mon Sep 13, 2010 12:04 am

Ive bled the whole system about 10 times over the weekend, and theres still air in it somewhere, so I decided to change the master cyl and booster to the 80series unit.
Got the old one off this arvo, have to trim out the hole where the pushrod goes through, then I can bolt it al up and bleed it all again.
Hopefully then I will have brakes and be able to get the Lux out of the shed.

dudelux
DAY TRIPPER
DAY TRIPPER

Postby dudelux » Fri Sep 24, 2010 12:53 am

Just to update my progress on the brake upgrade.

This job has been a pain in the ass.

I had the brakes on, bled the system, and there was still a problem somewhere, as the brakes still werent working.
So I decided to remove the Lux booster and master cyl, and fit the larger booster and master cyl from an early 80series Cruiser.

So out came the Lux unit, and I had to make the hole in the firewall bigger as the pushrod on the 80series booster sits a bit higher than the Lux one.
All fitted and bolted in, seems good, so I bled the systemand there seemed to be brakes again. Hooray.
So all the wheels went back on, started up, the pedal felt heaps better. Started reversing out of the shed, pushed the brakes to see how they went, the car stopped, and the car rocked forward and backward a couple of times, I thought thats wierd, so I reversed up the driveway and parked at the top.
Checked everything over, checked all shock/spring mounts for any cracks or breaks. All good.

So I asked some questions on Outers, and got numerous replies, and eventually came to the conclusion that I should get the front discs machined.

The discs got machined today, put them back on, all back together this evening, wheels back on, reversed out of the shed again, pushed the brakes to see what would happen, the rocking is still there, but nowhere near as bad as before.
So I went for a run up the street and back, didnt get out of 2nd gear, I didnt lock up the brakes, just slowed to a stop as I would normally do.
All went well, but I will go for a little drive around tomorrow just to make sure they are ok after they get some use.

The rear drums are next on the list of things to replace.

dudelux
DAY TRIPPER
DAY TRIPPER

Postby dudelux » Mon Sep 27, 2010 11:09 am

I went for a run yesterday to make sure the brakes are good when being used under normal driving conditions.
I headed out through the back of Wyong, and somehow, I conveniently found myself out at Ourimbah State Forest :roll: .
Anyway, found a nice, fun, very steep, very rocky track to play on for a while, short track, but the first step proved to be tricky. I got the lux to crawl up very smoothly.
The brakes are awesome, the pedal has never felt this good, ever!!
Geez it was good to back out in the bush.

On the way home, my drivers side speaker wasnt working, it turns out the wire was shorting out on the door frame, so I was pulled over and was playing with that, when a copper pulled up beside me.
I thought oh no, here we go.
He told me that my tailights are wrong, I said, whats wrong with them??
He said the blinkers are on the wrong side, I said do you mean they are backwards??
He said, that they have to be on the outside of the chassis, not the inside. I have heard that elsewhere but the lights have been there for going on 3 years now and never had any problems, but rather than argue and get a canary, I said ok mate, Ill get onto it.

Also, another thing that happened was my bonnet latch fell apart, I lifted the bonnet to see if there was any brake fluid leaking, and when I lifted the bonnet, a spring flew out, and now the latch wont work properly, so theres a bungy cord holding the bonnet closed.

Im thinking about getting some bonnet pin type locks for it.

Ill change a couple of things today and get some pics up of the new stuff.

dudelux
DAY TRIPPER
DAY TRIPPER

Postby dudelux » Wed Oct 20, 2010 10:09 am

I havent posted here for a while, not much new stuff happening.

Im making some new mudflaps/rear flares and this time Im using conveyor belt rubber, so the real estate sign flares are gone.
Ive got 1 side just about done.

In a few weeks, Ill be getting the last of the pieces needed to fit the RUF/IFS rears, then I can do the suspension.
Im also leaning towards getting the Histeer kit from Locktup. And fit that with a power steering conversion.

Im also toying with the idea of an engine swap.
-Commodore V6
-Turbo diesel(2.4 or 2.8)
-3rz.

Unsure what the costs are for the engines, and the parts for the conversions yet.
Im chasing peoples opinions before I decide.
I have read that you can get everything needed for the 3rz conversion for under 2grand.
And I know that commodore engines are everywhere.

dudelux
DAY TRIPPER
DAY TRIPPER

Postby Wineandmud » Wed Oct 20, 2010 8:14 pm

dudelux wrote:I havent posted here for a while, not much new stuff happening.

Im making some new mudflaps/rear flares and this time Im using conveyor belt rubber, so the real estate sign flares are gone.
Ive got 1 side just about done.

In a few weeks, Ill be getting the last of the pieces needed to fit the RUF/IFS rears, then I can do the suspension.
Im also leaning towards getting the Histeer kit from Locktup. And fit that with a power steering conversion.

Im also toying with the idea of an engine swap.
-Commodore V6
-Turbo diesel(2.4 or 2.8)

Hey mate i am doing the same to the ln65 sitting in the driveway. High steer is defo a good idea as the stock lux steer has the drag infront waiting to be bent on the first rock you hit. Just grab an ifs power steering box and chris at locktup has the 80 series high steer kit. Let me know how you go with the rufs and diff move etc. With the motor it depends on what you like driving. Braking power of a 2.8 td vs instant power of a v6.
-3rz.

Unsure what the costs are for the engines, and the parts for the conversions yet.
Im chasing peoples opinions before I decide.
I have read that you can get everything needed for the 3rz conversion for under 2grand.
And I know that commodore engines are everywhere.
80 Series on roids with bling-The big white rocket
84 Lux dual cab locked
R.I.P DMB
Gone but not forgotten

http://www.xtreme4x4.net.au/service.html
Wineandmud
SUPER SWAMPER
SUPER SWAMPER

Postby dudelux » Wed Oct 20, 2010 9:10 pm

I got the flares/mudflaps done today, so I got some pics of the recent stuff that Ive done. Its not much, but I did it.
First up, the rear mudflaps/flares, they are heaps bigger than I was planning, so I may cut them down a bit yet.
I might have to get a set of 37s to make them look ok, as they make my 35s look small.

I was running some Alpine 4inch speakers under the dash, but they couldnt handle my loud music and they went bang, so I replaced them with some Pioneer 6inch speakers that I stuck in the front doors.

I made a centre console from offcuts I had in the shed ages ago, the top section holds 2 bottles of coke, or 2 maccas cups, and the bottom section holds phone, wallet, remote for stereo.

This is the 80series Landcruiser brake booster/master cylinder that I recently fitted as part of my brake upgrade. And the fluid is low because the rear brakes still need to be done as they are leaking fluid.

So the plan for the near future is to get the rear wheel bearings, seals, wheel cylinders done, fit new drums and have the handbrake working again.
Then get whats left for my RUF/IFS rears suspension upgrade, and fit it all.
Im also planning on getting power steering fitted, along with either crossover or histeer, havent decided yet.

Im also toying with the idea of an engine upgrade....either,
- rebuild the diesel and fit a turbo
- buy a low KM 2.4 turbo diesel from a Surf
- Commodore V6
- 3RZ from a late model Hilux

Im leaning towards keeping the diesel, as I really like its low down torque, but having a turbo on there to give a better top end sounds quite good to me.

It just depends on what they all will cost me.

What do you guys/gals think??

dudelux
DAY TRIPPER
DAY TRIPPER

Postby dudelux » Wed Nov 10, 2010 8:20 pm

I ordered some bits and pieces last week.
All from Locktup, some came from WA, and some came from the US. It showed up here today.
Heres what I got...

Front and rear U bolt flip kits.

IFS steering box mounts.

Complete Hi-steer kit and steering damper set up.

Greaseable pins, new shackle mounts for the rear and track bar mounts.

Bilsteins front and rear.

So I now have pretty much everything needed to do my suspension, only new centre bolts and new bushes then its happening.

I also bought me this to make most jobs easier.
A Lincoln 180C mig, have helmet and gas too.

I have also decided where Im going with the engine swap, but more on that later, its a secret for now.

dudelux
DAY TRIPPER
DAY TRIPPER

Postby thebludger » Thu Nov 11, 2010 10:13 am

nice mate how much were the shocks mate
Im not a gyno but ill take a look at it for you!

Its a GQ thing, everyone understands

TOMORROW IS NEVER GUARANTEED
thebludger
TOURER
TOURER

Postby dudelux » Thu Nov 11, 2010 3:59 pm

Mate the shocks were 400 for the pair, but because I bought all this stuff at once from Locktup, I got them for 350pr.
Very shiny arent they.

dudelux
DAY TRIPPER
DAY TRIPPER

PreviousNext

Return to BUILD UPS & ONGOING PROJECTS