Got a build-up or ongoing project happening? Tell us about it here

Moderator: Moderator Team

Postby jeepers » Thu Nov 11, 2010 8:00 pm

A nice little batch of goodies.
jeepers
TOURER
TOURER

Postby dudelux » Tue Nov 30, 2010 11:07 pm

I bought some rear shackles today, 200mm so I wont have to move the shackle mounts as the shackle angle should be sweet.

I got an engine crane aswell, so the engine swap is getting closer.

Ill be ordering some front shackles from Buds Customs tomorow, then Ill only need new bushes and centre pins and Im ready to start changing bits on the Lux.
1986 Hilux dual cab, 2in body lift, IFS rear springs, inverted rear Bilsteins, 33in Swampers, 35in Muddys, custom and homemade stuff, lots to come

1993 Pajero, 31in ATs, steel bullbar

2000 Wethepeople Thrillseeker, full Chromoly, 20in Alex Supra rims, 20in Maxxis rubber, Profile and Primo bits
dudelux
DAY TRIPPER
DAY TRIPPER

Postby dudelux » Sun Dec 12, 2010 10:39 pm

The new engine is sitting in the shed at the moment, I just need to get hold of some random bits and pieces to make it all sweet.
The issues I was having with the rear brakes seems to be sorted out now, Ive done 2 trips to Newy and back in the last few days with no dramas.
The only thing I noticed was the lack of power when we got to a hill, but the new engine should solve that problem.
hehehe
1986 Hilux dual cab, 2in body lift, IFS rear springs, inverted rear Bilsteins, 33in Swampers, 35in Muddys, custom and homemade stuff, lots to come

2000 Wethepeople Thrillseeker, full Chromoly, 20in Alex Supra rims, 20in Maxxis rubber, Profile and Primo bits
dudelux
DAY TRIPPER
DAY TRIPPER

Postby dudelux » Tue Dec 21, 2010 6:33 pm

This is what Im putting in, and I have a couple of pics that I took today.

I couldnt quite get into the corner of parts, as you can see in the pic, theres a fair bit of stuff in the corner, spare front guards, IFS power steering set up, Supra gearbox/Lux transfer case/bellhousing, new clutch, custom front and rear driveshafts, 2 different radiators(one is from a 75series modded to suit Lux, the other is an alloy Commy one with twin thermos). All that and some random engine stuff.

Theres also a set of extractors and 2 1/4in exhaust for the 2.4D that Im not going to need now, so if anyones after extractors and an exhaust to suit the 2L, PM me.

Theres basically alot of bits in there, and to be honest, I couldnt be assed to get it all out for pics, but its all in there.

This is the parts corner of my shed....

Heres 2 pics of the engine...TAA DAHH....

So the secret is no more, its a Holden V8, injected 304, 5 litre from a Statesman, it has Marks Adaptors engine mounts to suit Hilux already bolted on, and custom extractors made up, its been freshly rebuilt and has only been started to build up oil pressure since the rebuild.

So, there you go.
Might not live up the hype of the last week or so, but Im still pretty excited to have it. And I wont be using the pod filter.

dudelux
DAY TRIPPER
DAY TRIPPER

Postby to_easy » Tue Dec 21, 2010 7:17 pm

[sensational]
You know what I did before I married? Anything I wanted to.
to_easy
Patarazzi
Patarazzi

Postby thebludger » Mon Jan 03, 2011 6:27 pm

to_easy wrote:[sensational]

x2
Im not a gyno but ill take a look at it for you!

Its a GQ thing, everyone understands

TOMORROW IS NEVER GUARANTEED
thebludger
TOURER
TOURER

Postby dudelux » Tue Jan 04, 2011 12:00 am

Just to update my slow progress.

I have a 2Lt surge tank on its way.
I have also ordered all the wiring I will need, computer, ignition module, pwr steering pump, alternator and all vee pulleys.
I will be ordering a Goss fuel lift pump and a Bosch 044 high pressure fuel pump tomorrow.

I should be talking to my mate at the wreckers tomorrow about the V6 fuel filler neck and handbrake setup. The handbrake on mine goes through the firewall and apparently the V6 handbrake doesnt.

Then its just the exhaust and clutch slave and master cylinders that I will have to sort out.
The exhaust will obviously need to be custom, and the clutch stuff I will sort when I get to it.

My new front shackles should be here soon, so at least I can get the suspension done.

Then, once the engine is in and running, I can get the IFS power steering box mounted, and fit the histeer.

I still have a very long way to go.

But at least its underway.

dudelux
DAY TRIPPER
DAY TRIPPER

Postby thebludger » Sat Jan 08, 2011 9:13 pm

mate cant wait to see out in the bush running gonna be mad :D

thebludger
TOURER
TOURER

Postby dudelux » Sun Jan 23, 2011 10:23 pm

I went wheeling out to The Watagans last weekend, on the trip out there, the engine fuse blew, and as I had no spare fuses with me, I pulled the wiper fuse and used that to run the engine. No dramas then.
On my way to get some more fuses, it satrted raining, and I had no wipers, how bloody typical is that.
Fitted a new wiper fuse and it stopped raining. :roll:
Had a good day out driving.
Did a couple of tracks, Creek Rd, and a couple others I dont know the names of.

dudelux
DAY TRIPPER
DAY TRIPPER

Postby dudelux » Sun Jan 23, 2011 10:34 pm

I enjoyed last weekends wheeling trip so much, that I decided to go out again today, with some guys.
We started on Dope Hill, then did CPT80, and Bulleys Shelf, then 2 tracks that come off Saw Pit Rd, then a track near Dooranlong somewhere.
No engine dramas today, but one of the Swampers did do a bit of panel beating to my passenger side guard.

Heres some pics from todays trip.

And here is a pic showing the panel work job my tyre did on my guard. It folded the guard up and under itself, I just pulled it out, out on a new cable tie and its good to go again.

dudelux
DAY TRIPPER
DAY TRIPPER

Postby dudelux » Tue Jan 25, 2011 1:16 am

Im weighing up some options at the moment, and I need some advice.

I already have just about all I need to do the engine swap and start trying to get it running, theres bound to be some stuff I still need to get, and a custom exhaust and to get it engineered as well.
The engine is going to be real thirsty, and it IS driven everyday. And the V8 isnt a big fan of water.

So I had a thought yesterday while wheeling, maybe I could sell off my V8 conversion gear, and spend the money fitting a turbo to my diesel instead.
It would save alot of hassle, and time, and money, it wouldnt need engineering, I already have a set of extractors and 2 1/4inch exhaust to suit my diesel sitting in the shed.

I could use the money made from selling the V8 gear, to fund the turbo kit, and then I could just fit the pwr steering, and hi-steer. It would probably be alot easier.
I could also use the money to buy me some lockers too.

If I go this way, then Ill have a very capable rig off road, that isnt as painful to drive on the road, and it wont cost much more to run everyday than it does now.

I know that some people have fitted aftermarket turbos to the 2.4d and they have had a increase in power, making it nicer to drive.
I know a diesel mechanic as well, so Ill have to talk to him before I decide on anything.

What do you lot think??

I know Ill probably cop a bit of shit for changing my mind after Ive bought all this stuff for the swap, but Ive already heard it from Mrs D.

I just love the torque of the diesel, it crawls so nicely, it just needs more power when Im travelling on the road, and Im over changing back gears when going up hills.

Post your opinions.................
................. now

dudelux
DAY TRIPPER
DAY TRIPPER

Postby thebludger » Tue Jan 25, 2011 11:52 am

yea a nice turbo would be good better on fuel as you said sell off the v8 gear more money for the other gear for hilux i think that v8 would have been to heavy for it if it was a lexus motor would have been much better and lighter

thebludger
TOURER
TOURER

Postby OGJON » Wed Jan 26, 2011 4:17 pm

Hey Tony, I would just strap on a hairdryer & be done with it way cheaper too, even if a burbling V8 does sound nice.

btw nice pix of your lux on Tobins ridge track, that lux sure does like to lift a leg :lol:
OGJON
SHOW PONY
SHOW PONY

Postby dudelux » Thu Jan 27, 2011 10:24 am

Thanks Jonno, Im guessing you are home from your trip south.
Yeah the poolux has cocked its leg yet again, although this time, it was alot higher than when we went to Killy.
I wasnt too worried this time, even though it was quite high, theres a bank on both sides, so I wasnt going anywhere.
Thats Dope Hill, quite a fun track, and it has some really good climbing sections on it.

As for my dilemma, to V8 or turbo??
Im really leaning towards the turbo now, the V8 would be awesome to have, as on road power would be great.
But I think that fitting a turbo will give me better on road performance, compared to now.
And then I can get front and rear lockers and crawler gears. :D :D

dudelux
DAY TRIPPER
DAY TRIPPER

Postby to_easy » Thu Jan 27, 2011 12:38 pm

just think if you have a v8 you would have your hand in your pocket all the time even though a v8 would be nice , plus with a diesel you could take it swimming. :D and if you sold the v8 motor and stuff you could buy more goodies for the lux.
You know what I did before I married? Anything I wanted to.
to_easy
Patarazzi
Patarazzi

PreviousNext

Return to BUILD UPS & ONGOING PROJECTS