The Dudelux Story

Got a build-up or ongoing project happening? Tell us about it here

Moderator: Moderator Team

Postby Wineandmud » Wed May 25, 2011 9:40 pm

Mate have you checked out trail gears 4"lift for luxs. Pretty standard lift for 35 - 37s if thats what you want to do. Just sold my lux with ifs rears, double card. front shaft, ifs power steering box and plenty other bits. Chris at locketup is a great bloke to talk to regarding setups and all for under 5K. Keep going on the lux. Should be good!
80 Series on roids with bling-The big white rocket
84 Lux dual cab locked
R.I.P DMB
Gone but not forgotten

http://www.xtreme4x4.net.au/service.html
Wineandmud
SUPER SWAMPER
SUPER SWAMPER

Postby dudelux » Fri May 27, 2011 11:40 am

Yeah I checked out everything on Locktups site, and then bought my histeer kit, Bilsteins, and a heap of other bits.
Chris and Tash are awesome!!!

Im going to be running RUF and IFS rears, I dont want to go too high with lift. With what I have here, it should be good, without being rediculously high.

Im planning on spending all day saturday on getting this yellow Lux ready(well, more ready), for the cab swap day. Im going to cut out the rusty section under the clutch pedal, and weld in a non rusty piece that I got from the wreckers.

Im hoping to have the inside finished by the end of the weekend, and have some primer down too.

Still undecided on colour though, was going to just go with a darkish red, similar to what the red one is now(but not as old and faded), but Im still keen for a nice bright yellow(chrome yellow is one that comes to mind).

I wasnt too keen on the dull yellow thats on it now, but after I took off the side steps, and gave the outside a gerni, it looks pretty good.

Hopefully, by the end of the weekend, Ill have some real updates, and some new pics.

And by the way, my Lockers arrived from the States, twin-locked here we come!!!! :D
1986 Hilux dual cab, 2in body lift, IFS rear springs, inverted rear Bilsteins, 33in Swampers, 35in Muddys, custom and homemade stuff, lots to come

1993 Pajero, 31in ATs, steel bullbar

2000 Wethepeople Thrillseeker, full Chromoly, 20in Alex Supra rims, 20in Maxxis rubber, Profile and Primo bits
dudelux
DAY TRIPPER
DAY TRIPPER

Postby dudelux » Fri May 27, 2011 12:41 pm

I stuffed around with one of the pics of the yellow Lux today, on photobucket.
Made an exo cage, and gave it a paintjob, bright yellow.

I think the colour is cool, and the design for the exo is pretty much how Id build it.
I did try a few different colours on the exo, but black was the only one that didnt look totally gay.

Let me know what you think.
1986 Hilux dual cab, 2in body lift, IFS rear springs, inverted rear Bilsteins, 33in Swampers, 35in Muddys, custom and homemade stuff, lots to come

2000 Wethepeople Thrillseeker, full Chromoly, 20in Alex Supra rims, 20in Maxxis rubber, Profile and Primo bits
dudelux
DAY TRIPPER
DAY TRIPPER

Postby dudelux » Tue Jun 14, 2011 4:39 pm

This rain is giving me the shits, I need it to stop raining so I can get out and do some more work to the yellow Lux.
But its supposed to go on for at least the next week or so.

This is what the yellow Lux looks like at the moment, I did find some water on the inside of the cab, Im guessing that its come in through one of the cracks in the windscreen, so I put a tarp over it.

Here is what it looks like now, only 8 bolts holding the body on the chassis, and 1 fuel filler hose.

And here is 2 more piles of parts from the yellow one.

Once the inside has been primed, and painted, I can think about pulling the red one apart.

dudelux
DAY TRIPPER
DAY TRIPPER

hey mate

Postby turbo-lux » Sat Jun 25, 2011 10:02 pm

hey mate see you are looking for a 4.8 diff centre for your lux i have a complete one and also a brand new set of gears to make a set of centres if you are still looking
turbo-lux
WINCH BIATCH
WINCH BIATCH

Postby dudelux » Sat Jun 25, 2011 10:06 pm

Well, Ive had a busy couple of days.
Started yesterday morning, with me looking at the Yellow Lux, and trying to figure out what is left that I can do, all it needs is....
- to have the sound deadener painted down on the inside
- trim out a little bit around the gearsticks(to suit the bodylift I have on the other one)
- weld in the footrest thing under the clutch pedal
Apart from that, which isnt much, its ready to go.

So I pushed it back over to the other side of the yard, and moved the Red Lux in front of the shed.
The plan was to try and have it ready to get the red cab off sometime over the next week, taking my time, and labelling and tagging anything that I disconnected, or unplugged.
I took alot of pics of how and where stuff was bolted, plugged and fitted before I undid anything, so I have some record of how it is supposed to be when Im finished.
I also got a few pics this arvo, after Id spent 2 days getting stuff done.

Ill let the pics tell the story, but I think Ive done ok, I am a hell of alot closer to a finished product though.

First up, the yellow Lux as it is now, back on the other side of the yard. Just waiting.

Inside the yellow one.

I left the rear wall in primer for when I get some colour to spray in there.

Then I moved the red Lux, and got to work on it.
Got the interior out.

I purposely left the dash in, as I will be using most of it in the yellow one, and itll be easier to fit it in, when I know exactly how and where things go.

Got everything disconnected, unplugged and unbolted from both inner guards and the firewall by the end of today(except the brake and clutch boosters, which are still connected to the pedals), I really wanted to remove as little as possible from the dash area, so I left them on.

Guards and tray off.

Its not connected to the chassis anywhere, all thats left on it, are the doors, glass, bonnet, dash stuff, and a couple of things on the firewall(brake/clutch boosters, wiper motor). I even got the body lift and bolts out. The cab is just sitting there waiting to be lifted off the chassis.

Theres no turning back now, thats for sure.

Turbolux, PM sent mate.

dudelux
DAY TRIPPER
DAY TRIPPER

Postby dudelux » Wed Jun 29, 2011 10:22 pm

I did a tiny little bit of work the day after all that^^^ happened, I just removed both gearsticks, unplugged a bit of wiring that I had not discovered until I was removing the gearsticks.

Then I figured that if I cut off the front section of the car, it should make it lighter, which should make it easier to move by myself.

So I got out the 5inch grinder, and cut through the inner guards, pretty much anything in front of where the snorkel went through, was cut off, was a sad moment for me, as Ive had alot of fun in the red Lux.

I then tried to lift up the cab using the engine crane, it didnt work, so I used the trolley jack to jack up one side and I put some 4x2 timber offcuts between the chassis and the cab, just to space it up a bit.

Heres some pics.

Heres the bit I cut off.

dudelux
DAY TRIPPER
DAY TRIPPER

Postby dudelux » Wed Jun 29, 2011 10:39 pm

Then, today, I got out there and took the doors off, to make it lighter again, and was planning on having another go at using the engine crane to lift the cab.

Heres some more pics.

And now with it hanging from the crane.

And because my driveway is on a slope, I couldnt move it by myself, I had to leave it like that, its still like that now, Ill have to get some mates over tomorrow to give me a hand to move it.
Its a 2 or 3 person job, 1 or 2 to drag the engine crane backwards up the driveway, and 1 to hold up the rear of the cab to get it over the rear tyres.

dudelux
DAY TRIPPER
DAY TRIPPER

Postby dudelux » Mon Jul 04, 2011 11:46 pm

Well, Ive had a busy couple of days...

Saturday, I got the red cab off my chassis.
I took the doors off, and I put the arm of the engine crane inside the cab, and ran some straps to points on each corner of the cab, and lifted it up. Then I just dragged the engine crane up the driveway and dumped it on the ground.

Sunday, I moved my chassis across the yard, and pushed the yellow Lux back over onto the driveway, and got the cab ready to be lifted off its chassis.

Today, I got the doors and bonnet off the yellow Lux, then I lifted the yellow cab off its chassis with the engine crane, using the same technique as I used for the red one, and dragged it up the driveway. Then I pushed the spare chassis back across the yard, and pushed my chassis back over onto the driveway again.
And I got the yellow cab down onto my chassis, the bodylift is back in, its all bolted up, fuel fillers are back on and clamped up tight. Doors and bonnet back on. I also got some stuff bolted onto the firewall.

Its starting to look like a car again.
Heres some pics....

Its all forward from here, I think. At least its starting to look like a car again. And I think the yellow cab with the 35s looks cool.

dudelux
DAY TRIPPER
DAY TRIPPER

Postby to_easy » Wed Jul 06, 2011 9:37 pm

looks like you have been busy, good to see it all coming together [bigthumbsup]
You know what I did before I married? Anything I wanted to.
to_easy
Patarazzi
Patarazzi

Re: The Dudelux Story

Postby dudelux » Wed Aug 03, 2011 5:57 pm

Ive done a little bit since my last post here, heres some pics of what it looks like after todays work, today is 5 days straight that Ive done nothing except work on the Lux.

Engine bay, just need to hook up the wiper motor, the battery, and fit the coolant bottle.

Inside, dash and vinyl floor from the red one fitted, seats from the yellow one fitted, seatbelts and other bits and pieces from the red one fitted.

Some outside pics I got this arvo, guards, flares, lights, and blinkers fitted. And my old grille after about 8-10 coats of gloss black. Came up sweet.

Not a whole heap left to do now, a few minor things, little bit of wiring, fit the bumper, and some stuff under the bonnet, not much at all.
Finally looking like a real car again.

dudelux
DAY TRIPPER
DAY TRIPPER

Postby to_easy » Wed Aug 03, 2011 10:32 pm

good stuff looks good
You know what I did before I married? Anything I wanted to.
to_easy
Patarazzi
Patarazzi

Postby turbo-lux » Thu Aug 04, 2011 2:49 am

getting there mate have to for a play when all done
turbo-lux
WINCH BIATCH
WINCH BIATCH

Postby dudelux » Fri Aug 05, 2011 1:09 pm

Cheers guys, and yes, a run is definately on the cards for very soon.

dudelux
DAY TRIPPER
DAY TRIPPER

Postby dudelux » Sat Aug 06, 2011 6:40 pm

I did a bit more today, quite happy with myself right now actually.
I got the wipers, the wiper motor, the wiper jets all hooked up, and the coolant bottle bolted in, tightened the steering shaft up, bolted the front bumper back on, hooked up the battery and went to start it up, it started first crank, and didnt blow any smoke, YIIPPEE!!

Only issues were with the brake lights, they came on and stayed on, when they shouldnt have even been on. So after a bit of head scratching, I got some advice from a mate, and I adjusted the locknut at the top of the pedal, which is where the switch is. It was all good then.

Just need to do a couple more things and its all finished, bleed the brakes, bleed the clutch and solder 3 wires back inot a plug again.

Not long to go now. :mrgreen:

dudelux
DAY TRIPPER
DAY TRIPPER

PreviousNext

Return to BUILD UPS & ONGOING PROJECTS