My 1994 NJ Pajero

Got a build-up or ongoing project happening? Tell us about it here

Moderator: Moderator Team

My 1994 NJ Pajero

Postby Crazy_cabbie » Sat Apr 16, 2011 2:47 pm

Well I am planning on doing some mods to my 4x4 so thought I might put it up here as I have a tendancy to do mods outside of the box. About the car, its a 1994 NJ LWB Pajero 3.0L auto. We got the car just before xmas as the new family car as my wife and I were expecting another child. This one caught our eye due to the overall condition, Lower k's and the price.

Day we got it

After the accident

Unfortunately I crashed the car the day after we got the car but it was fixed and we even got a couple of upgrades like and ECB alloy bar and Narva Spot lights.

After being fixed

Now I have also added a bluetooth/USB/MP3/CD/FM/AM stereo and was also lucky enough to get a roof top cargo rack from a 60 series Landcruiser which looks like its only a couple mm away from fitting and once I clean it up it will be fitted. Also on the list are a set of Maxis bighorns and a new exhaust. Besides the accident, a blown heater hose and a corroded heater core the car has been awesome. Now being our first real 4x4 I have been practicing off road and getting used to the car in the paddock of the back until I take the car to Levuka or Rover park

Here is the car as of this morning out in the paddock
I have self control. I just exercise my right to ignore it, especially when it comes to anything with a motor and wheels
Crazy_cabbie
SNATCH STRAP
SNATCH STRAP

Postby jeepers » Sun Apr 17, 2011 7:08 am

looks like a pretty tidy paj.
jeepers
TOURER
TOURER

Postby Crazy_cabbie » Tue Apr 19, 2011 3:20 pm

I know, isnt it horrible.
I have self control. I just exercise my right to ignore it, especially when it comes to anything with a motor and wheels
Crazy_cabbie
SNATCH STRAP
SNATCH STRAP

Re: My 1994 NJ Pajero

Postby Crazy_cabbie » Thu Aug 25, 2011 10:52 am

I figured I might update this. Firstly not to long ago a hose burst on the engine. Luckily the car had only been running for 5 mins so wasnt really hot so just decided to replace all the cooling/heater hoses as well as the rusty heater box and even had the radiator pulled apart and cleaned out. Put it all back together and all was great for about 7 weeks when the temp gauge rose very quickly. Pulled over and this time is wasnt a hose. Had the car towed to a mechanic and after a few days it was revealed 1 head gasket blew and the other wasnt far behind.

So the decision was made not to fix the engine but to source a reco one instead but the mechanic found a brand new short motor for the same price of a reco one, Bonus. At this time I also chose to change the radiator from a 2 row to a 3 row because we live in the mountains and we had been doing some towing. So 2 weeks and 6 grand later we had the car back. We had to do the whole run in thing which was fun trying to keep to what they had said with long steeper sections of up hill roads and long sections of 100km/h roads. After a drive to the Sunshine Coast in QLD the run in period was finished and we could finally see if the car was any better with the new motor. Answer, Yes and No. Feels better down low in the revs but the same or worse at most other rpms.

So after a driving around for a while I had started looking into some possible accessories for the car like roof racks, h/d towbar, hi-lift jack, ect. My wife mentioned this to her parents who had a Landcruiser many years ago that they used to move the family from Perth the Brisbane and they had a cargo rack and a hi-lift jack laying around from it and said I could have them. I decided that the cargo rack would the be first thing I would take. After a couple of mods to narrow the mounts and fit brackets for spot lights it got a clean and a coat of paint.

The spot lights are nite stalkers that were on my wifes old car and they had been laying around.

Here is some pics of the rack on the car

It turned out the rack sat on the roof and was also larger then the roof so more mods were done. I cut sections out of the frame to it could be mad shorter and the sections that were cut out were then used to make the rack sit higher and clear the roof. I had a local fab shop og over it and make sure it was all welded up and strong. Total cost of the rack, welding, paint, lights and wiring $100.

Here is are some pictures of the car with the rack done minus the floor out in one of the national parks that surround the town where I live

Next I will be trying to make some bash guards for the front of the car as well as a set of steps/ sliders that I can then use a lift points for a hi-lift jack because as the car sits right now is doesnt have a single spot I can use for the hi lift jack.
Crazy_cabbie
SNATCH STRAP
SNATCH STRAP

Postby Crazy_cabbie » Thu Aug 25, 2011 11:10 am

I also forgot to add that just before the rack went on we had the crappy Sailun tires replaces with a set of Maxxis AT700's. Sofar we have done about 3000km's with them on sealed roads and on dirt, gravel and rocky roads and tracks and so far we cant fault them.

Here are a few more pictures

And the final 2 pictures from this morning are of the car at home after all the driving in the national parks and forestires plus a 4 days of driving to pick up peoples census forms.

Crazy_cabbie
SNATCH STRAP
SNATCH STRAP

Postby OGJON » Sat Jan 07, 2012 5:25 pm

nice paj
I just bought a '95 3.5L auto NJ LWB for a daily driver to replace the falcon.
OGJON
SHOW PONY
SHOW PONY

Return to BUILD UPS & ONGOING PROJECTS