Locking hubs

All General 4x4 Tech Discussion

Moderator: Moderator Team

Locking hubs

Postby Whisky » Thu Jan 28, 2010 12:03 am

Hi, I am a complete novice when it comes to 4x4's. I have never driven one until only a few days ago when I managed to aquire a very reliabe and cheap Ford Courier 4x4... It has no log books or drivers manual and I am unsure about locking and unlocking the hubs and activating the 4x4. If anyone out there can assist me I would greatly appreciate it. Also any tips or advice on learning about 4x4 driving would be great as well... Cheers guys
Whisky
SNATCH STRAP
SNATCH STRAP

Postby jeepers » Thu Jan 28, 2010 6:50 am

What model Ford courier have you got? and does it have manual locking hubs or a shift on the fly button on the dash?
jeepers
TOURER
TOURER

Postby Whisky » Thu Jan 28, 2010 3:52 pm

Hi thanks for your quick reply.
It is a 1998 XL 4x4 Couier single cab. The hubs have to be locked at the wheels manually... Do the hubs have to be locked or unlocked for the 4x4 to be activated? And what are the gears and how are they used? As I said I am a complete novice... :)
Whisky
SNATCH STRAP
SNATCH STRAP

Postby thebludger » Thu Jan 28, 2010 4:12 pm

Whisky wrote:Hi thanks for your quick reply.
It is a 1998 XL 4x4 Couier single cab. The hubs have to be locked at the wheels manually... Do the hubs have to be locked or unlocked for the 4x4 to be activated? And what are the gears and how are they used? As I said I am a complete novice... :)

hi whisky you lock the hubs before you put that little stick into 4wd 4h is for driving just normal dirt roads 4l is for soft stuff like sand and mud when you need traction :D

are you in the newcastle area mate
Im not a gyno but ill take a look at it for you!

Its a GQ thing, everyone understands

TOMORROW IS NEVER GUARANTEED
thebludger
TOURER
TOURER

Postby Jimbo » Thu Jan 28, 2010 5:40 pm

Finally someone that also owns a courier :D I own a 2000 Courier 2.5 TD 4x4 XL if you live in the Newcastle area i can help you a bit about the Courier.

Cheers
Speed kills, drive a Ford and live forever!
Jimbo
DAY TRIPPER
DAY TRIPPER

Re: Locking hubs

Postby Jimbo » Thu Jan 28, 2010 5:48 pm

Whisky wrote:Hi, I am a complete novice when it comes to 4x4's. I have never driven one until only a few days ago when I managed to aquire a very reliabe and cheap Ford Courier 4x4... It has no log books or drivers manual and I am unsure about locking and unlocking the hubs and activating the 4x4. If anyone out there can assist me I would greatly appreciate it. Also any tips or advice on learning about 4x4 driving would be great as well... Cheers guys

On the hubs it will say LOCK and FREE, When you ativate 4H/4L it must be in the LOCK position.

When returning it back to 2H. Select 2H, turn hubs to FREE and reverse back about 10 meters( to take any stress out of the gears).

Cheers
Speed kills, drive a Ford and live forever!
Jimbo
DAY TRIPPER
DAY TRIPPER

Postby Whisky » Sat Jan 30, 2010 11:10 am

Hey thanks for the advice guys, it is greatly appreciated... I honestly thought I was going to be mocked for such lame questions...
I live on the Central Coast NSW, does anyone know any novice 4x4 trails around here?
Whisky
SNATCH STRAP
SNATCH STRAP

Return to GENERAL 4x4 TECH DISCUSSION