Tyres

All General 4x4 Tech Discussion

Moderator: Moderator Team

Tyres

Postby Crazy_cabbie » Sun Feb 20, 2011 6:24 pm

Hi. I am trying to find out what people would consider a good tyre for a mitsubishi pajero. Currently the car has 31x10.5r15 Sailun H/T tyres and yes they are shocking but were on the car when we purchased it.

Now I have been asking a few people I know and been to a couple of shops and I have been looking at 1 0f 3 Cooper tryes. The Coopers are the S/T, S/T C and the STT. The S/T has been the most commonly used and suggested tyre of the 3 with Cooper saying its for 60% road and sand and 40% dirt and mud but everyone who has used or suggested them do the bulk of there driving on reasonable sealed roads on the north coast of NSW.

Now where I live the roads are falling apart with loads of pot holes and alot arent even sealed so I am worried that with the poor conditions of the roads combined with a higher likely hood of driving dirt roads could make these tyres unsuitible. I have personally bean leaning toward the S/T C or the STT but the STT is there top off road tyre stating 20% road and sand and 80% dirt and mud and I am concerned that grip on sealed roads might not be suitible especially on twisty mountain roads that are often damp.

So what are peoples thoughts on the Cooper tyres or are there other more suitible tyres out there that dont cost a fortune. I have already been quoted $1300 for the Cooper S/T fitted, balanced and wheel alignment for the 5 wheels. Besides cost, durability and wet weather grip we dont care if they make noise as thats a small price to pay.
I have self control. I just exercise my right to ignore it, especially when it comes to anything with a motor and wheels
Crazy_cabbie
SNATCH STRAP
SNATCH STRAP

Postby Wineandmud » Tue Mar 08, 2011 8:12 pm

I ran the coopers a/t on my hilux and they were fine until i needed more grip off road. I went and sourced a set of mickey t's mtz and never looked back. My only gripe is yes i had to reduce my high speed cornering due to reduced highway grip however it was a VERY small price to pay when i hit the dirt it was worth every climb and mudhole i could throw at the mtz's. Wear was a little faster than the a/t's but with massive grip offroad it did not bother me. The hilux was a daily driver too. Hope this helps.
80 Series on roids with bling-The big white rocket
84 Lux dual cab locked
R.I.P DMB
Gone but not forgotten

http://www.xtreme4x4.net.au/service.html
Wineandmud
SUPER SWAMPER
SUPER SWAMPER

Postby jeepers » Tue Mar 08, 2011 8:35 pm

My advice would be to stay away from coopers.I had 31x10.5x15 Cooper St's.They are noisy for an all terrain and rubbish offroad.Can show you photos of entire blocks being torn off mine after only a few trips out on them.And aparenlty its a common fault.They last so long because they use such a hard compound which is useless for grip.Honeslty the worst tyre I have ever used.Stick with Micky ts or BFG's you cant go wrong in an all terrain or muddie
jeepers
TOURER
TOURER

Postby Wineandmud » Tue Mar 08, 2011 8:48 pm

What jeepers said. Coopers bought out mickey t but have kept the business separate.
80 Series on roids with bling-The big white rocket
84 Lux dual cab locked
R.I.P DMB
Gone but not forgotten

http://www.xtreme4x4.net.au/service.html
Wineandmud
SUPER SWAMPER
SUPER SWAMPER

Postby Crazy_cabbie » Wed Mar 16, 2011 10:04 am

Well what is a decent tyre for ok money. Noise isnt an issue as the way the roads are out here even my falcon makes alot of noise from the tyres/
I have self control. I just exercise my right to ignore it, especially when it comes to anything with a motor and wheels
Crazy_cabbie
SNATCH STRAP
SNATCH STRAP

tyres

Postby dieseltech » Wed Mar 16, 2011 5:31 pm

depends on what your idea is of ok money.
the maxxis bighorn are supposed to be a great tyre for value and offroad performance at around 200 per corner, a bfg mud will cost around 250-300 per corner and a mickey t mtz is about the same. all prices are for 31's at my local tyre shop.
Troopy. lowered, bar'd, to be locked
dieseltech
SHOW PONY
SHOW PONY

Postby jeepers » Wed Mar 16, 2011 8:23 pm

Like dieseltech said the Maxxis Bighorns are are a pretty good tyre from about half a dozen mates that I know that use them and love em.One is on his second set he likes them that much and are pretty cheap for a really good tyre.But you will find that the BFG will be cheaper to buy in a similar size than the Mickey Ts if you were looking at either of those 2.Well that was the story when I shopped around as Iwas tossing up between Mickey Ts again or trying BFG KM2s.Ring around,I got so many different prices.
jeepers
TOURER
TOURER

Postby Crazy_cabbie » Mon Mar 21, 2011 11:11 am

So how are the Bighorns on sealed roads, especially damp twisty sealled roads?
Crazy_cabbie
SNATCH STRAP
SNATCH STRAP

Re: Tyres

Postby Aaron Schubert » Mon Apr 14, 2014 6:58 pm

Bighorns are a very good tyre for what you pay. Just be careful to look at what they are - there is a difference between Maxxis Bighorns, Maxxis Bighorn 762's and 761's.

I had the original bighorns and loved them; great value for money. Probably not the best tyre choice for seriously remote touring, but they are good for majority of 4WDing

Aaron
Aaron Schubert
SNATCH STRAP
SNATCH STRAP

Return to GENERAL 4x4 TECH DISCUSSION