Steering wheel movement

Got a tech question then post it up and someone may have the answer.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Steering wheel movement

Postby Crazy_cabbie » Tue Feb 08, 2011 10:37 am

I am trying to find out if anyone has any ideas on what could be causing my steering wheel on my 1994 pajero to feel like its not attached to the steering colum. The nut that holds the steering wheel on is tight and the steering colum is solid at every point I can check and the steering wheel play side to side if within limits and it all steers as per normal. The mechanism for the wiper controls and the indicator stalk also do not move which makes me think that is not the steering colum but where the steering whel is bolted to the colum it does appear to all move as one.

So can anyone shed some light on what could be the issue? Is there a connection on the steering colum between the back of the wheel and the control stalks?
I have self control. I just exercise my right to ignore it, especially when it comes to anything with a motor and wheels
Crazy_cabbie
SNATCH STRAP
SNATCH STRAP

pajero steering

Postby dieseltech » Tue Feb 08, 2011 5:56 pm

g'day mate, first of all welcome to the forum!
secondly, if possible get someone in the car while running.
while the car is running (with the hand brake on ofcourse) get underneath and get them to move the steering wheel side to side and you check out your tie rods for unusual movement.
thirdly there is normally a uni or "steering knuckle" easily veiwable with the bonnet up, get the person in the car to move the steering wheel side to side while you watch for excessive play.
once you have carried out these two quick steps jump back on the forum and let me know how you went.
Pete
Troopy. lowered, bar'd, to be locked
dieseltech
SHOW PONY
SHOW PONY

Postby Crazy_cabbie » Tue Feb 08, 2011 10:46 pm

The movement is more like you would expect when your trying to remove the steering wheel. Everything you have mentioned is fine
I have self control. I just exercise my right to ignore it, especially when it comes to anything with a motor and wheels
Crazy_cabbie
SNATCH STRAP
SNATCH STRAP

steering issues

Postby dieseltech » Wed Feb 09, 2011 7:06 pm

sorry mate, i thought you meant play in the steering.
if the movement is toward you (the driver) i would suspect there is a washer missing??
Troopy. lowered, bar'd, to be locked
dieseltech
SHOW PONY
SHOW PONY

Postby Crazy_cabbie » Wed Feb 09, 2011 8:55 pm

The movement isnt towards me/ driver. Ican mover the wheel in a 360 degree motion without actually turning the wheel. It has no effect on the steering or anything else but it does feel a little unsettling especially considdering that all the front suspension and steering was check ed for a RWC in the middle of Dec last year as well as being checked when the panel shop sent the car for a precautionary wheel alignment after repairing accident damage
Crazy_cabbie
SNATCH STRAP
SNATCH STRAP

Return to MECHANICAL WORKSHOP