broken clutch lever on winch

Got a tech question then post it up and someone may have the answer.

Moderator: Moderator Team

broken clutch lever on winch

Postby G Unit » Wed Nov 12, 2008 7:51 pm

Hi,

ive managed to break the clutch lever on my magnum winch... Its been seized for ages and when i took it back to the place that installed it the said they only ever seize if they get full of water and crap (ie not covered by the warranty) so they wernt prepared to even look at it without charging a fee.

I gave it a good soak with Lanolin (sp?) spray and with a slight bit of encouragement it went snap.

So, is there much to replacing the lever? I dont want to open it up if gears, clips and all sort of shit is going to pop out, and what do people think would have been the reason behind it seizing? It was only failry new when it first got stiff and had only been used in anger a couple of times.

paul
I owe, I owe, its off to work i go...
G Unit
SHOW PONY
SHOW PONY

Postby TUFFGQ » Thu Nov 13, 2008 7:07 pm

It might have been buildup on the sliding ring gear that the lever moves across not the lever itself.

If you can pull the lever side off without taking the winch out you'll be laughing.

Heres a basic guide..

http://www.members.shaw.ca/macks4runner/winch.htm
TUFFGQ
SAND MINER
SAND MINER

Postby G Unit » Thu Nov 13, 2008 7:32 pm

cool, thanks for that link Paul. I might give it a go when ever i get the chance so hopefully anything i pull apart will go back together!
G Unit
SHOW PONY
SHOW PONY

Postby G Unit » Sun Nov 23, 2008 12:47 pm

Looks like im just going to have to power out the cable instead of free spooling. I spoke with the guys at TJM and the dont supply the parts for Magnum winches so i went over to ARB who supplied it. For the lever it self its $120...

Ive heard advice against powering out the cable as it can overheat the brake but i dont use it that often and im not prepared to spend that much money on a simple lever.

But if anyone has a dead winch in their shed and the lever will fit the Magnum 9000lb winch let me know, it'll be worth a carton to ya!
G Unit
SHOW PONY
SHOW PONY

Return to MECHANICAL WORKSHOP