hilux brakes don't work!!

Got a tech question then post it up and someone may have the answer.

Moderator: Moderator Team

hilux brakes don't work!!

Postby pauly308 » Sun Jul 05, 2009 10:59 am

Hi

After spending nearly $800 on replacement parts that SHOULD have fixed the problem, I am now 2 steps away from putting my ute for wrecking.

I have an SR5 hilux, its an 01. a turbo diesel

about 4 months ago, it started veering to the left when i'd apply brakes.

i have no idea what caused this, so i got to work:

blew out all pipes and lines with an air compressor
rebuilt both front calipers with new pistons and seals
REPLACED calipers with brand new ones
put new pads
machined discs
REPLACED discs with new ones

i have even had new CV's and bearings put in as well (bearings collapsed and boots split open ... this was due anyway)

there are no leaks of fluid and nothing else is apparent or out of the ordinary. IT JUST ALWAYS VEERS TO THE LEFT WHEN I APPLY THE BRAKES!!! GRRRR

i have spoken to every wrecker about parts, every brake mechanic and no one can give me a straight answer. every one of them say to me"bring it in"

yeah right, i know whats going to happen, they're going to tell me i need a new ABS module at $4300 from toyota, seeing as no one else supplies or rebuilds them. however i know its not the abs module because the ABS works fine. if i lock up the ABS works as normal, yet the car still
veers to the left.

this is a really irritating very frustrating thing to happen.. not to mention completely unsafe. i can't tow a trailer for the bikes anymore, i can't go fast anywhere ... and basically i pretty much want to strip the damn thing and put it for wrecking.

considering that i didn't win one of the $53 mil prizes last week and I cannot afford to buy an F250 and turn it into a comp truck... i really want to avoid buying the ABS module or paying through the nose for a costly repair job when i am guessing that there is an easy fix for this.

if this is a master cylinder problem, is there anywhere in sydney anyone can suggest i can get one from? brakepro suggested i leave the ute there with them for 3 days and they can diagnose the problem. they were the only people to say that it might be that there is a pin hole in the master cylinder valve which is letting fluid drain from one section of the cylinder to the other, but if thats so... wouldn't my brake pedal dive into the floor when i apply the brakes? thats not happening either!

PLEASE HELP!!!
pauly308
SNATCH STRAP
SNATCH STRAP

Postby matto » Mon Jul 06, 2009 9:13 am

does the brake line go into a junction box after the maser cylinder
matto
SNATCH STRAP
SNATCH STRAP

Postby pauly308 » Mon Jul 06, 2009 9:16 am

yes it does, there are 5 lines that come out of it.

from what i know it splits up, front right and left rear are together and front left and right rear are together as well.

the spare line i am assuming is either a return or to the ABS module.

i have bled the brakes until i used more than 2 litres of brake fluid on all wheels and nothing seemed abnormal when i bled them.
pauly308
SNATCH STRAP
SNATCH STRAP

Postby matto » Mon Jul 06, 2009 9:25 am

my thoughts are that the left hand side is braking harder than the right if they all bleed ok i would say the hydraulics are ok. So why cant it be something with the abs?, can you disconnect the abs (maybe a fuse) and try a hard brake.
matto
SNATCH STRAP
SNATCH STRAP

Postby pauly308 » Mon Jul 06, 2009 9:28 am

Thanks. I haven't done that before. I'll give it a try. It's one of the fuses in the black box, isn't it?
pauly308
SNATCH STRAP
SNATCH STRAP

Postby matto » Mon Jul 06, 2009 9:32 am

i'm not sure where they are located but it should be labled.
See how you go good luck
matto
SNATCH STRAP
SNATCH STRAP

Postby pauly308 » Mon Jul 06, 2009 9:34 am

I'll let you know how I go. It'll be a couple days though.

Assuming this doesn't work and there is still the same result, would you know anything else it could be?
pauly308
SNATCH STRAP
SNATCH STRAP

Postby thebludger » Mon Jul 06, 2009 10:27 am

I got the same problem with the gq i swaped the tyres around that stopped it from pulling to the left but now pulls to the right been bleeding the brakes but hasn't done anything so looks like i'm going to change the master cylinder now that might be half the problem with yours too

keep us updated mate
Im not a gyno but ill take a look at it for you!

Its a GQ thing, everyone understands

TOMORROW IS NEVER GUARANTEED
thebludger
TOURER
TOURER

Postby pauly308 » Mon Jul 06, 2009 10:50 am

I thought it was tyres as well but its not. I got 33 BF muds on mine.

I'll definitely let every one know what the outcome is
pauly308
SNATCH STRAP
SNATCH STRAP

hi i no im a girl but listen to what i have to say

Postby bitch-in-surf » Wed Jul 08, 2009 5:03 pm

hi dont get affended thats my opinion im only a girl i reckon it mite of been in an accident before, mite not of been u but the person before you. try talking to tonys auto spares at sandgate ask for johno he will give you a straight answer but if you want i have a SR5 turbo dieasl surf inderpant and my other half has a SR5 4runner live front end if you want to have a look under them you mite find something diffent contact thebludger for my number
bitch-in-surf
SNATCH STRAP
SNATCH STRAP

Postby juzzo84 » Thu Jul 30, 2009 7:32 pm

the problem is not with your abs, as the abs only works when you lock the wheels under hard braking or on slippery surfaces. if it is pulling hard to the left then the problem is in the right hand side.

Have you checked the integrity of the rubber brake lines at the wheels? although they may look ok on the outside and you can blow compressed air through them, they may be balloning under pressure and reducing applied force to the brake pistons in the brake calliper.

If you are confident that the front callipers are in good working order i would consider replacing the RH rubber brake hose. Could be a nice cheap and easy fix to this ongoing problem.

I have seen this problem in the rear of a toyota (75 series) ute, we replaced every thing including the load proportiong valve only to discover that the brake line was rooted!

Good Luck
juzzo84
SNATCH STRAP
SNATCH STRAP

Re: hilux brakes don't work!!

Postby pauly308 » Thu Jul 30, 2009 9:47 pm

pauly308 wrote:Hi

After spending nearly $800 on replacement parts that SHOULD have fixed the problem, I am now 2 steps away from putting my ute for wrecking.

I have an SR5 hilux, its an 01. a turbo diesel

about 4 months ago, it started veering to the left when i'd apply brakes.

i have no idea what caused this, so i got to work:

blew out all pipes and lines with an air compressor
rebuilt both front calipers with new pistons and seals
REPLACED calipers with brand new ones
put new pads
machined discs
REPLACED discs with new ones

i have even had new CV's and bearings put in as well (bearings collapsed and boots split open ... this was due anyway)

there are no leaks of fluid and nothing else is apparent or out of the ordinary. IT JUST ALWAYS VEERS TO THE LEFT WHEN I APPLY THE BRAKES!!! GRRRR

i have spoken to every wrecker about parts, every brake mechanic and no one can give me a straight answer. every one of them say to me"bring it in"

yeah right, i know whats going to happen, they're going to tell me i need a new ABS module at $4300 from toyota, seeing as no one else supplies or rebuilds them. however i know its not the abs module because the ABS works fine. if i lock up the ABS works as normal, yet the car still
veers to the left.

this is a really irritating very frustrating thing to happen.. not to mention completely unsafe. i can't tow a trailer for the bikes anymore, i can't go fast anywhere ... and basically i pretty much want to strip the damn thing and put it for wrecking.

considering that i didn't win one of the $53 mil prizes last week and I cannot afford to buy an F250 and turn it into a comp truck... i really want to avoid buying the ABS module or paying through the nose for a costly repair job when i am guessing that there is an easy fix for this.

if this is a master cylinder problem, is there anywhere in sydney anyone can suggest i can get one from? brakepro suggested i leave the ute there with them for 3 days and they can diagnose the problem. they were the only people to say that it might be that there is a pin hole in the master cylinder valve which is letting fluid drain from one section of the cylinder to the other, but if thats so... wouldn't my brake pedal dive into the floor when i apply the brakes? thats not happening either!

PLEASE HELP!!!

OK well thanks to a whole lot of running around, wreckers who lie through their teeth and a whole lot of other mechanics who pretend to know what they're talking about, I took it on myself to fix it before my next shooting trip.

I said before that i rebuilt both callipers, and replaced both callipers..

well guess what

i stripped the entire brake system and washed and cleaned every bit. I went to the wreckers and bought two new callipers for right and left

i put it all back together. (after 1 whole day). jumped in, took off flying through the streets ... and jumped on the pedal

IT WORKED!!!

So what was the problem?

Well i took my old callipers to my cousins house and clamped them on his ute. turns out it WAS the callipers. i don't know how or why, but i did rebuild and replace them.

now i just have a slight steer to the left while driving but that can be fixed easily.

on a final note, THANK GOD that stupid law about suspension was at least put on hold.
pauly308
SNATCH STRAP
SNATCH STRAP

Postby Wineandmud » Sat Aug 01, 2009 12:24 am

VSI50 is only temperary delayed. I say get ur mods done and engineered when you can. Good to see those brakes sorted. It sucks having to spend so much time stooging around for info and getting bum steers of dealer/wreckers but then again a valuable lesson learnt.
80 Series on roids with bling-The big white rocket
84 Lux dual cab locked
R.I.P DMB
Gone but not forgotten

http://www.xtreme4x4.net.au/service.html
Wineandmud
SUPER SWAMPER
SUPER SWAMPER

Postby pauly308 » Sun Aug 02, 2009 4:36 pm

Well

Just when i thought it was safe to venture out again

my brakes decided to go.

my brakes are not working. in fact, they are working exactly like they were before i fixed them

chance of only left hand calliper locking: 1 in a 100
chance of overhaul not working: 1 in 1000
chance of REPLACEMENT (1st) not working : 1 in 1000
chance of 2ND REPLACEMENT FAILING: Seriously... come on.. if there were 3 hiluxes out there with the same problem as mine then it means it's a major problem and there's a simple , easy, cheap fix. right ?

I went to heathcote today and went through mud puddles, not mud, not mud bog, puddles that wouldn't make a splash to wet dirt 40cm away from it when i drive through.. when i drove out on to the road and put my foot on the brake it felt like the whole car was shifting to the left. not pulling to the left but actually crab walking to the left.

drove a bit further and locked up the brakes thinking that the mud really did get into the brakes and cause some harm. i nearly lost control of the ute and went up the bank and i ran into a shrub.

very angry at this point, i kept driving and the brakes started to improve

by the time i got home... the car was only pulling to the left when i brake. ok ok thats good, its not as bad as the first time.

i took the wheel off, flushed everything. i put new brake fluid (just to be sure that this poor little darling ute wasn't coughing on a microscopic atom of dust), i blew out the lines with the compressor, i washed the whole car

no good

it still keeps pulling to the left

Hiluxes have been in my family for years, modified, standard, worked, everything and i will now say, I HATE HILUXES

they are stupid SOFTroaders. they are the worst 4x4 ever. i mean which idiot decides to put IFS on a ute designed for off roading? which fool puts ABS on an off roader and WHICH UTE FALLS APART LIKE THIS?..TOYOTA!!!

you know, had i abused the ute, had i taken it through thick dirty gritty rocky dark sludge mud that came up to the window, i'd say ok i deserve this problem with the brakes, the ute wasn't designed for mud drags

but i don't do that! i don't thrash it. i look after it and i take care of it. i don't push it to limits that i know it can't do and in fact for 99% of the time the type of off roading i do a subaru leone could do without bottoming out!!

I don't know what to do anymore. I hate this ute with a passion. i hate it like nothing else!

is there anyone there who can help me? please!
pauly308
SNATCH STRAP
SNATCH STRAP

Postby thebludger » Sun Aug 02, 2009 5:58 pm

Buy a patrol ..... nah only joking Have you checked the brake booster has it got good vacuum and have you got a brake biased valve on the rear diff that might be faulty or do bleed that to it has to be first before you start bleeding the brakes

cheers
Im not a gyno but ill take a look at it for you!

Its a GQ thing, everyone understands

TOMORROW IS NEVER GUARANTEED
thebludger
TOURER
TOURER

Next

Return to MECHANICAL WORKSHOP